Monday, April 02, 2007

Port Dickson International Half Marathon - 1 April 2007

No sub-2hr but a PB nonetheless

I got up at 5am, couldn't really sleep. Poor city boy not used to sleeping in a kampong house. After shower, applied NEAT Cream to abrasion prone areas and put on my SGRunners running vest, urban survival kit, Adidas cap and black shorts. Having checked everything in place, NL and me left for the startpoint, praying that the weather will hold.

Joining Mr and Mrs IMD at the start point after i put on my Adizero SN Red, i did my customary warm up stretches while waiting for registration to start. The weather however, had other plans. Drizzle turned to heavy rain by the time the VIP flagged off the 21km runners.

I couldn't believe the organisers allowed the race to proceed. However, at that point, i had another thing to worry about. The cold from the rain meant i had to pee, and trying to be the considerate foreigner, i held off my bladder and waited for the right opportunity. We got to the main road by the beach. Yeehua was slightly behind me at first but overtook when i stopped for my first pee break.

Rain probably turned to a slight storm and visibility was poor. I chatted with a runner from Malacca, who liked my SGRunners vest. We u-turned at the 7km mark and collected a ribbon to add to the one given during registration. Running back towards the startpoint, i adhered to my walk at every waterpoints routine, although there weren't anyone at the waterpoints. I felt tired as, opposed to the slight raise of feet for normal runs, running in ankle deep waters at part meant having to raise your feet higher and land harder for grip.

The fatique subsided as i reached the 10km point. Checking traser, i realised that i completed the first 10km in 55minutes. Sensing an opportunity for a good performance, i felt renewed vigour and continued running, a left turn towards the Armour camp, but not before another pee break. I passed by a stall selling pisang goreng but decided against buying some.

Reaching the intersection to the highway, where i needed to make a right turn and collect another ribbon, i continued at my 5-6mins/km pace. I past a runner who told me that he is currently the 90th in the "A" category, meaning we will get the finisher's medal if we complete the race. He waved me on after realising that he couldn't match my pace. I was more concerned for my timing. I missed finishing in 2hr at Putrajaya Half last year because of a miscalculation.

Reaching the round-a-bout, i collected another ribbon before turning right towards the startpoint. Distance markers indicated 2km to go. I tried to push myself but by the time i get to the last left turn towards the Marina, i knew 2hrs was beyond me. I continued on, knowing that i can still better my PB and finished the race in 2:02, cutting 3mins off my best timing.

After surrendering the ribbons, i collected my certificate and medal, got a few gulp of Milo and 100plus, and chatted with Nezz from Pacesetters. NL, who finished in 1:52, and me then left for breakfast. Good run, first time ever running in the rain for me, but an experience i will cherish for life.

Distance: 21.2km
Shoe: Adizero SN Red
Timing: 2:02

2 comments:

NEZZ said...

Hi Raihan!! Congrats, u did well in PDHIM. Nice meeting you too. Running in the heavy rain is really a challenging one, but we did it!! Yayyyy.... :)

KeyPoint said...

Hi Raihan....!! Congrats... You made it again...

Poor City Boy didn't get a good sleep in a Kampong House.... hmmm.... but worth it isn't it....
Just make sure you will not hurt your leg again...

Cheers,