Thursday, December 27, 2007

Demoralising Run - 18 Nov 07

I requested for this run, back during the fasting month. Brokie agreed to organise one more after an earlier success... wait... every run has always been a success.... Ronnie PM-ed to remind me about it, saying if i cannot make it.. or planned not to make it... i should inform RSM now, then. But i was all geared to for the run, so i said yes. Thankfully i did.

Met Sassyrunner and KK who drove us to Changi Village. We were the first to arrive but the group got bigger as the minute passes by. I put on my NB 735 and Nathan Hydrobelt, having already worn the Adidas black tights and Mizuno white vest. Expecting a sunny morning, i had my Oakley shades on.

Brokie briefed the group just after 7. The route will take us from Changi Village to ECP via the Coastal Road and the park connector. I did the first km with Team Brokie and Hopling before the rest joined in. Knowing there was no way i can last the run with the group of fast runners, i decided to adopt the run/walk routine. Therefore, after 8 minutes of running, i started walking, to everyone's surprise.

The route was, as the title suggest, demoralising. I was rather familiar with the road, having attempted another such run a week before KL Marathon in March. In addition, i have cycled the route numerous times. I knew there will be a traffic light somewhere, and that will be about 5km from the startpoint. Gentle was around to take some pictures, then sped off in his cool looking bike.

I was alone for most of the route, less a portion near the end of Coastal where Ultraman was guiding one of his disciples in the art of running. I tried the new route connecting Coastal and ECP, which cut across the road leading to Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal. I saw Cobalt who was heading towards me, telling me the 10km point was a few metres ahead. Then came Doraemon_Red.

Soon i reached the NSRCC and decided my u-turn point will be at the Sailing Club's toilet, about 3km away. I reached that toilet, and replenished the water in my bottles. Ultraman arrived with his disciple, and we slow jogged the way back.

Most of the runners overtook me by the time i passed by the traffic light, signalling 5km to go. My feet has started to hurt and my 8min run/2min walk turned more into 3min run/7min walk. Anyhow, a cycling race was going on and there was a huge crowd near the Changi Ferry Terminal.

Cobalt and some other runners were waiting at the entrance to the terminal. DO handed me a bottle of ice cold water and asked if i wanted a car ride back. Car ride?? with only 2km to go?? No way... was he kidding or what?? Feet nearing numb and i still had the passion to complete the run. A good sign?? Well, at least a sign....

I walked jogged the way back and finally reached the ending point, where most of the runners were gathered, already warmed down. Someone offered me an ice-cold cup of 100-plus. I had my eyes on Doraemon_Red's Pocari jello. Delicious stuff.

Good run this was, though i must be worried about my ability to finish SCSM. Nah... i know for sure, with god's will, that finishing is not an issue. 2 weeks to SCSM.

Distance: 27km
Shoe: NB 735

No comments: