Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Great Eastern Pacesetters 30km - 21 Jan 07

The day started with me waking up at 0415hrs. After shower, i put on my SGRunners vest, adidas black shorts, Adizero SN Red and race belt filled with my urban running kit and 3 packs of powergel. No breakfast since i forgot to bring my box of Myoplex, guessed 3 capsules of Amino Acid will do. Leaving the hotel room, i could hear noise from the lobby, which was filled with fellow runners, all excited, all eager to get to the start point.

The good people of Coronade Hotel has arranged for transport to bring us to Taman Tasek Perdana, the start point which we reached at 0515hrs. I did my usual stretches and tightened my laces, all ready to go. Volunteers came by, asking for reporting cards, which they took and exchanged with a purple ribbon.

The MC announced that the race will start in 5, then 4 minutes time. There were some cheers i could not make out, but soon the countdown began. The horn sounded, signalling the start of the race. Off the runners went, and so did i. Slowly made my way up the slope towards the main road before stopping for a pee break.

The route takes us out of Taman Tasek Perdana towards Jalan Parlimen. The first 10km will be similar to that of the Mizuno Wave run. We then have to do another half loop before proceeding on towards Desa Sri Hartamas and back.

Up and down the rolling hills, i completed my first 10km in about 1:05. Saw familiar faces along the way; overtook gentle and laokayu before being overtaken by hohorunner and then littletigger, who i tried to match stride for stride for more than 3km. Took my first pack of powergel at the 5km waterstation. Saw my good neighbour sassyrunner and immediately knew that she had problems. She complained of stomach pains. I told her the start point is up ahead before leaving her behind, looking out for medics stationed along the way.

Going back down Jalan Parlimen, we needed to run 5km of the same rolling hills as the first 5km. However, this time the route brings us towards Desa Sri Hartamas. Saw Tey Eng Tiong, the Pacesetter blogger who always run with a camera. Upon reaching the waterpoint at the 15km mark, i took my second serving of powergel. Even then, I had no confidence of finishing the race in the cut off time of 3:30. My spirit and strength were rejuvenated when i saw familiar faces running on the opposite direction at Sri Hartamas. First was Bug, then Teelee, Bee, DO, Dreamrunner, Ronnie, and many more. Looking out for familiar faces on the opposite side of the road was a good distraction for me as before i realised, i reached the 20km point, equipped with water points and volunteers giving out powergels. Since i still have a pack with me, i declined their offer. Said my hello and shook hands with Mr Lim, a Pacesetter member who i met in Bidor last November. Mr Lim was giving out ribbons and told me i had about 10km left. Looking at my Polar, i realised i had 1:20 to go. Should be enough to finish 10km.

The last 10km was indeed the toughest part of the race. Being bored i chatted with anyone who was willing to talk to me. I talked to Amanda, another Pacesetter member, Farmy, the Adirun fella from Singapore as well as Andy, who was having cramps. Gentle caught up at the last km and we ran up Jalan Duta until i saw Uncle Maswar aka Spiderman. Uncle Maswar is a fantastic runner and a good friend. He jokingly asked why am i so slow. I replied that i forgot to wear my roller blades.

Reaching the entrance to Taman Tasek Perdana, i knew the ending point was near. Couldn't remember who told me that Ripley and KJ were ahead, armed with camera, waiting to shoot. So i reserved my best pose and finished the run in 3:20.

Next thing to do was collect all the goodies; goodie bag, finisher's tee and medal, and lots of good food. Remembered my promise to turn back and run the last few hundred meters with JT, i went back to the garden's entrance. Charlotte, Babumouse, Meteor, Divey, Laokayu and Daisiki ran past before JT appeared. I then ran with her, informing about Ripley and KJ, then stepping aside to leave her to enjoy the glory.
A great event this 30km race. Though i am not used to the rolling hills and could not think of anywhere in Singapore with similar stretches of terrain, i think the organisers have made an excellent effort in making the event a successful and enjoyable one. Volunteers, be it those giving out ribbons to those mending the waterpoint were very helpful. Great to meet up with new and old friends; Amanda and Mr Lim from Pacesetters; BoSe, LCPSimongoh, Spike Flicker from SGRunners; Farmy from Adidas.

Next up, KL International Marathon, 18 March 2007. Before that, a good shower and a sumptous lunch, before a grueling toiletless 5 hour coach ride back to Singapore.

Shoe: Adidas Adizero SN Red
Distance: 30km
Time: 3:20

2 comments:

RunWitMe said...

Well Done in the 30K!!

Keipo said...

Hi...nice to meet u....!!

If u find u foto in my album,pls let me know,then will send u original size foto.

Oh ya...the blu shirt gal,infront,she got some fotos in my album,u let her know if she need original size foto...tks