Saturday, January 27, 2007

Musical chairs

Immediately after the last paper of my final undergrad year, i started work. It was a temp job, doing accounts and finance. A month after graduation, the HR manager of that company informed me about a soon-to-be vacant position within the company, and suggested i apply for it. The position was "Executive, Corporate and Community Development". Not wanting to be unemployed for long, i applied for the job, without any idea what it was all about. An interview and some negotiations later, i got the job and the rest is history.

That was more than 4 years ago. Since then, i have been promoted twice. I have also been located in 2 different places within the office. On Friday, that became 3. I was told to clear my stuff and move back up to the 25th floor. Back because just 2 years ago i was told to move down to the 13th floor.

I have never bothered to question why. I have always understood that there are bigger forces at play, bigger pictures to look at and i am just a foot soldier in the game. However, not everyone feels that way i guess, by the look and actions of the people involved. Now let's not get into why they feel that way... I just couldn't be bothered to.
I was more interested in moving all my stuff to the new workstation as soon as i can. I planned to settle in the new place and clear my junks slowly. I am amazed at the amount of junk i kept in the office, just 4 years into the job. I joked to my colleague "I hope if they want me to leave, they would give me a 1 week notice, cos i would need that much time to clear my junks".
With the junks cleared, real work could to come in. I've received a couple of interest from educational institutions, wanting to do community work. There seems to be a great number of good samaritans in Singapore; Everybody's into community work.

I also have the hospitality school to build as well as other community projects to plan for and many many minutes of meeting to write. I hope 2007 will be a good year at the office, not that previous years have not been. I have been promoted twice, remember.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was in wonder wit d musical chairs caption on ur msn.. hope u r doing alrite. heck i noe u wd. wat can i say.. adulthood's a bitch

KeyPoint said...

Hi...

Congrats.... Promoted 3 times in a company is not easy though... It shows that you have been working hard....

Once again Congrats...

Regards,
;)