Friday, May 11, 2007

Larian Bendang – 5 May 07

Got up at 5am. After shower, I applied NEAT Cream to abrasion-prone areas as well as plasters where required. I then put on my SGRunners vest, Adidas tights and cap, Adizero SN Red and USK and camera-filled Nathan Waist wallet before swallowing 2 capsules of Amino Acid. Having forgotten to bring Myoplex Protein Shake and Powergels, I had to rely on just the Amino Acid to see me through the run.

Left and met the rest of the crew at the hotel’s lobby before walking towards the stadium. Within 15 minutes, we arrived. I did my customary stretches before taking pictures. Having not made any preparation for the race (been busy with work since PD Half Marathon), I decided to take this as a sight-seeing run, and equipped myself with my Lumix FX-8.

Just before 7am, the GOH, the princess of the Kedah Sultanate, appeared and flagged off the 21km runners. I did a slow jog, and NL was already a distance away from me by the time I left the stadium. Soon, I past Nezz, who told me she arrived from KL the evening before. I was looking out for Runwitme, but to no avail. About 25minutes into the run, we came into the more rural part of Alor Star. I could see to many beautifully designed kampong houses on either side, but was more interested in looking out for water-points. Instead, I saw a butcher stall, with what looked like cows hanging from hooks.

Soon, padi fields appeared on my left. A short while later, a group of traffic wardens channeled us into a road, flanked on either side by padi fields. The first water point soon appeared and I took the opportunity to take some pictures. I then continued running and chatted with Nezz, who caught up while I was snapping some pictures, and a runner from Padang Besar in Perlis. We passed a distance marker indicating we had 13km to go.

After turning left, then right and left again, we came across another water point. However, this time the water point was running out of water. I was fortunate to get half a cup of water. With 7km to go, another water point appeared, this time with more water.

Soon, I ran past the 5km to go marker, and saw many runners zooming at hyper speed. I soon realized they were running the 10km race. Trying hard not to be influenced by their speed, I kept to my slow pace and soon, had 2km to go. A lady runner caught up. From her accent and attire, I could tell that she was not local. There were only a handful of lady runners in the 21km category. Though I guessed she came from KL, this runner was actually from Singapore. She caught sight of my SGRunners vest, and introduced herself as Eliza, also a SGRunner. We ran the last 2km together, chatting away about other runs. I finished my run in 2:18, not a personal best, but who cares.

Good run, good route, but bad organization. The first water point could have been nearer and sponging stations would have been much appreciated. Nevertheless, Alor Star is a place I enjoy and would not hesitate to make a return visit. 6 cups of Milo and 8 cups of 100plus later, NL and me limped our way back to the hotel after buying a Kedah football team t-shirt at one of those pasar malam stalls.

Distance: 21km (felt more like 19-20km)
Shoe: Adizero SN Red
Time: 2:18

3 comments:

NEZZ said...

Me too. I don't care about the PR. The distant markers were wrong too. But as I said, the beautiful green of the padi field scenery really blown me away. I would definitely run at LB again next year... :)

Keipo said...

Wah..must go next yr liao,hope got time.

aharis said...

Had a good run.. right!
Must come again nx year.