Wednesday, April 04, 2007

CBD Run - 3 Apr 07

The day we went up Fort Canning
With Marina South undergoing facelift due to the IR, CBD runners had to look for new running routes. This week, the group headed for Fort Canning.

Reached startpoint just after 6. Stopped by Coffee Bean and bought one whole cheezcake, partly as punishment for running faster than JT and Charlotte 2 weeks ago, partly because i just felt like bringing something, to liven up the now-seemed-very-dull-and-sien CBD Run. (photo courtesy of Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf - i was too lazy to zap some pictures)

We got going just after 7. I was in my Mizuno blue vest and shorts, NB1060 and USK attached to my racebelt. The route will take us from Maxwell Rd to Shenton Way down towards Esplanade. A u-turn and down under the bridge will swing us to the direction of Empress Place, Riverfront and Clarke Quay. Crossing the overhead bridge to bring us to the other side of the road, we'll run against traffic flow and turn right towards Clemenceau Ave before turning right again into Fort Canning. Running up the slopes and round the hill before eventually ending up at the same overhead bridge near the Reverse Bungee station at Clarke Quay. From there, back to the start.

I started fast, as the case after every races. The PD Half caused me sore quads and calf muscles but i knew for sure that i badly needed a recovery run. I shuttled from back to front, trying to save my legs for what the run was all about, the climb up Fort Canning. After some confusion at the overhead bridge, we eventually settled for running along River Valley Rd towards Clemenceau Ave and run up from there.
The slope was not too steep, nothing compared to the double hills at KL. Cokiee was leading and Fennel took over before long. I felt tired and took my time, running slow. As most were unfamiliar with the route, we waited at every intersections, ensuring that nobody got lost.

The run back was uneventful, less me trying to get JT to finish the race in style. SV reminded me about getting some sit-ups, after i told him that my IPPT is coming near. With his assistance in holding my ankles, i managed to do 50, before feeling cramps at the stomach, thigh and calves.

Can't remember who brought the H2O, but the cheezcake was good.

Distance: 9.68km
Shoe: NB 1060

No comments: