Thursday, December 27, 2007

2007 Reflections, reasons and excuses - where did i go wrong

Ok.. here goes... where did i go wrong.
Let's look back, way back to KL Marathon. I completed GE30km in January and must have slacked until early March. Then again, i did 2 half-marathon training runs and another 27km a week before the race. In addition, i failed to get PB for KL because of cramps circa 35km.
I did PD half Marathon early April and then did shorter distance trainings for the double half marathons at Kedah and Perak in early May. After that was ICT, where i must have slacked. Then again, i struggled at Bintan Triathlon 10km running leg because of the short, steep and undulating slopes and not because of lack of training.
I did slacked in June, where i truly suffered during the Penang Marathon. My longest run in preparation for that race was the World Harmony run. Triathlon fever set in as i started cycling.
I guess my slack period started in July, when i had to cover CD Manager's position for 3 months. Missed CBD runs as i had to be in Bintan mainly Tuesdays to Thursdays. At Bintan, i merely do gym work whenever coach Suhaimi was on duty. I managed to do 2 sprint triathlons though, Trifam sprint trial and PD Sprint Tri.
August was an equally slack month though i completed Adidas King of the Road and Desaru LD Tri cycle and sprint race. A rash attack and i had to miss AHM.
Handed over CD Manager position when James took over in Sept. Then again, didn't train when the fasting month sets in. Instead, Ed and I started eating more.
Renovation work started early October and the contractor i engaged didn't do Phua Chu Kang any justice. Checks on the house every evening left me too frustrated to train. This carried on until early December, when i finally moved in.
December came and i completed the SCSM. In addition to the medal and finisher tee, i also attained a personal worst marathon timing and a sore upper right quad muscle. Not sure if the injury is ITB but it sure does hurt everytime i lift up my leg. In addition, preparations for the wedding left me with much to think about. Its amazing how much things you need to think about for a wedding: politics, tradition etc, when most of these have no bearing on the marriage.
I think i'll just rest and ease my way back to fitness, gradually. I am reluctantly giving up MR Ultramarathon to rest. Let's see what 2008 brings!!

1 comment:

Burnz said...

hi shut, you had done well in 2007 and

congratz on your coming wedding. sorry I am unable to attend, as I am still in KL.

yup, i know how it is like to prepare for a wedding and moving house. my nightmare ending 2006.

i think, the key to training, work, school and family is good time table and a understanding wife.

hope to see you around for the T family training more in the future.