Thursday, December 27, 2007

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2007 - 2 Dec 2007

Got up at 3am. Showered, applied plaster and lubricants to abrasion prone areas before putting on Mizuno white vest and Adidas black tights. Grabbed my pre-packed gears and left to meet Sassyrunner. JT swung by in a cab a few minutes later and we continued on to pick up Teelee before heading for Esplanade.
The race carnival was packed with runners by the time we arrived. Finished putting on my NB735 and USK before depositing the bag. We then left for the fountain near cetopath to meet the other SGRunners.
Balasing called and we arranged to meet at the starting point. There were tens of thousands of people at the startline, but with a handphone in hand, it was a matter of time before Balasing and I met. Andy was around too and he was delighted to see us. Andy, JT and I decided to run together.
The run started before i knew it. About 2 minutes passed before i ran over the startline, signalling the start of my race. The 3 of us ran at about 6.5mins/km pace and stopped for walk breaks after every 8 minutes. Many familiar faces passes us by, including Amanda from KL, who attempted her first full marathon. I took my first pack of powergel at the 8km waterpoint.
By the time we reached the 10km mark, i knew that our pace was too slow. So, i sped up and left Andy and JT behind, after JT waved me on. Running alone was much harder. I spotted some runners running at the pace i was comfortable with, and we had an agreement only runners understand, to pace each other.
I took my second pack of gel a short while after entering ECP, circa 18km. My legs were already hurting by now but i maintained the 8 by 2 routine. As i arrived at the 25km mark, i realised that i was about an hour off last year's timing. It didn't worry me a bit as i know that i was not prepared for this race.
Came across Tey from KL after leaving the Lagoon, heading towards the u-turn point near PA. Tey was with his darling, an SLR camera. Yen Erl, also from KL and attempting her first 42km, waved from the oncoming side, meaning she was about 2km ahead of me.
I finally reached the 27km u-turn point about 3:30 into the race. Back in January, i covered GE30km in 3:20. At the entrance to Bedok jetty, i saw JT and Andy at the opposite side. I notice a lady runner jogging very slowly, but constantly. I decided to follow her pace and did so until i reached 33km, where my feet really hurt. There was also a slight pain on my right upper quad, just off the groin. I took that as my breaking point, and decided to go even slower. I abandoned the 8 by 2 routine, and concentrated on just moving forward, at whatever pace i can.
Moving forward i did, and i reached Raffles Boulevard a few minutes after 5hrs. No more running now, not even a slight jog. My chest started to hurt but that was normal for me; it occurs whenever I attempt a marathon distance. My upper right quad still threatened to cramp up.
The last 3km seems like the longest part of the race. I walked most of it and stopped just outside Esplanade to call JT. She told me she still had some way to go and i should just finish the race. I did just that, slow jogged my way to the finish line, passing by IMD for a photo pose 2 hundred metres before the finish line.
My completion time was 6:10, which was 58 minutes longer that my PB at SCSM 06, and 25mins later than my last PW at Penang 07. Thinking i have a long time to reflect, i concentrated on not letting cramps set in. I remembered very well the really bad cramp i had after the Penang race. No way will i want another of that.
I got hold of an usher to remove the timing chip off my shoe laces and handed them in to collect my medal and finisher tee. It was then a search for Ed, who completed her 10km about an hour earlier. Poor girl had to wait under the sun for me.
A really bad race for me. Not surprising given the nearly inexistant training i put in.
Distance: 42.195km
Shoe: NB735

No comments: