Thursday, February 08, 2007

The need for good shoes

The recently purchase Asics Gel Cumulus VIII was the fifth running shoe that i have bought since i joined SGRunners, back in May 2006. Before that, i have never purchased a running shoe costing more than S$100. I have been asked my times, even by runners, on why i spend a sizeable percentage of my income on shoes. Well, i could only think of 1 incident.

Back in 2001, that will be during the holidays after my second year exams, i went camping at Pulau Ubin's Nordin Beach, with a group of friends. To cut the story short, i accidentally stepped onto burning charcoal on my way to my tentage. A group of students sharing the beach with us had left burning coal on the beach. How irresponsible!! I spent the next 2 weeks limping and in great pain. Good thing i was wearing a Teva sandal, covered most of my feet. It was then that i realised how precious our limps are and have taken every conceivable effort to take care of myself, including giving up football (for fear of injuring my leg) and buying expensive shoes.

I think the first expensive shoe i bought was my Magnum combat boots, which my reservist buddies still disturbed me about. If i remember correctly, i paid S$105 for that. A little steep for what i would use for less than 20 days a year. Nevertheless, comparing this boots with the one supplied by SPF is like comparing heaven and hell. No matter how much patrolling i have to do, or how long i need to stand at the sentry or observation point, the shoe caused me no pain. Maybe because it has bled my pocket when i paid for it.

My first expensive running shoe was the Adidas Adizero SN Orange. My running shoe list, as of June 2006, is as follows:
  • Adidas Adizero SN Orange : S$104 (Excellent cushioning and weight, good for 21km; 4 half Marathons and an Ultramarathon finishes)
  • Adidas Nova : S$64 (i think) (under-utilised)
  • Mizuno Creation 7 : S$146 (a total disappointment; heavy like a brick)
  • Adidas Adizero SN Red : S$104 (1 half Marathon, 1 30km and 1 full Marathon finishes)
  • New Balance 1060 : S$109 (good cushioning but stiff and heavy)
  • Asics Gel Cumulus : S$126




Might be a lot of money spent but i rather buy good shoes than injure myself.

No comments: