Monday, July 30, 2007

Port Dickson International Sprint Triathlon - 21 Jul

My first Triathlon race. I just decided to do this as soon as i bought my bike. I was really panicking in getting transportation and accommodation sorted out. It was even more panicking for me when our coach arrived at PD just after 12, meaning less than 2 hour before race begin.

Having changed into my Zoots Tritights, i headed for the bike check in/transition area and arranged my stuff. It was very tricky as the weather was not very accommodating to us. It started with light drizzle, then got heavier. I arranged my stuff in the basket provided and covered them with a tiny plastic bag which somehow i could find.

I then made my way to the swim start and realised that i have not done my body marking. So i had to run back to the transition area. The markers had a hard time writing my number and gave up after a short while. They told me to shout out my number when i run past the recorders. I then ran back to the start point.

Not the compose pre-race preparation i expected. I managed to catch a bit of the final race briefing before the YB blew the horn, signaling the start of the sprint race. I let everyone past before entering the water, walking until the sea water reaches my chest level. There were many behind me, all, like me, lacked confidence in swimming.

I stuck close to the swim rope and was glad to reach the first buoy. I think i kicked someone, and turned around to apologise. Slowly, i stroked my way to the u-turn point and saw just a few swim caps ahead of me. The rest must have completed their swim. With confidence building in me, i completed my swim but realised that i did not start my stop watch. Hopeless me.

I did a light jog to the transition area. reaching my bike, i struggled to put on my wet socks and Adidas Adistar. The last time i wore this shoe was during run session at Toa Payoh, where i fainted. I hope it brings me better luck this time round. Anyhow, no need for shades this time, and i put on my helmet before pushing my bike to the mounting line.

No cyclometer so no idea how fast or far i've cycled. I was blocked by a car just before heading into the highway. I saw many cyclists, but all on the opposite side. Alone, i cycled to the u-turn point. On the way back, a marshall on a motorbike decided to keep me company. We managed to strike up some conversation, and he told me that i was cycling at 40km/hr at one of the sections. I was a cyclist ahead of me and decided to overtake. The cyclist turned out to be Fennel and we finished the biking leg together.

Hooking up the bike, i took off my helmet and started to run. My legs were heavy now, but i tried to maintain the cadence i used for the biking leg. After a while, Fennel and me overtook some participants before i told her to leave me behind. I managed to get into my running groove just before the u-turn point. Then on i increased pace with every steps and finished the race in 1:29.

Collected my race medal and a nice looking powerbar towel. Had some Milo-peng before heading back to the race expo, deliberating on joining the Olympic Distance the next day.

Good race, i felt like the king of the world having finished the swim leg.

No comments: