Monday, July 09, 2007

TRIFAM Sprint Race - 8 July 2007

I only joined Trifam a week ago and Jerry suggested i take up this challenge, to provide me with experience in swimming in the sea. So, as always, i registered first and then worked out what to do and how to do. I had never swam 750m out at sea and never cycled competitively.

Got up at 5am, showered and packed my stuff. Put on my newly acquired Zoot Mesh Trifit tights and Mizuno white/orange vest. Applied some lubricants at abrasion prone areas before leaving my dad's house at 6am. Thanks to my dad who then drove me to my new apartment
to collect my bike, before dropping me off at the race venue, NSRCC Sea Sports Centre.

When i arrived, only the fellas from the Bike Boutique was around. As the sun rose, more people arrived, Gentle, Paul and Jerry. The only person from Trifam i knew was Gentle, though i also knew that Gugugaga and Hedgehog will also take part. I made myself useful by helping the committee set up for the race. When my help was no longer required, i snapped some photos before Joseph the CSM called for everyone to register for the race.

I registered, paid and was given number 26, and went for body marking where number 26 was written with thick black marker pen on my 2 arms and thighs. I then followed the crowd to place my
bike and stuffs at the bike stand.

Having done all the necessary, i waited for CSM Joseph to give a briefing and collected a bright colored swim cap for easy identification. Just before 0800hrs, we were all ushered to the startpoint, a ramp to the sea. I stayed at the back of the group, so as not to get kicked and not to get in the way of the fast swimmers.

The horn blew, and off we went. I had no confidence in finishing the swim leg and so did a slow start. However, that may not be slow enough as i got nervous upon approaching the first buoy. I realised that i might drown if i don't quit. Luckily, the safety swimmer was just nearby and he helped to calm me down. I rested by holding on to the buoy for about 10 seconds before continuing on. My race then was from one buoy to another. I rested for another 10 seconds upon reaching the 2nd buoy, with the safety swimmer encouraging me continuously. From then onwards, i managed to gather my courage and continued my slow breaststrokes, maintaining momentum and regular breathing. Before i knew it, i reached the u-turn point.

I focussed on the end point on the swim back, and slowly stroked my way to it. I realised that every other swimmer had finished their swim but continued on, knowing that this is not my race with them, but myself. My goggles were already fogging up by now and i realised that i've been focusing on the wrong point all the while when the safety swimmer told me to turn a little to the left. I then powered on and finished the swim, to the applause and good wishes of Joseph and Gentle. (I think they were worried that i may drown... hell, i was worried that i might drown). Someone then opened the tap and hosed me down with fresh water before i jogged towards the transition area.

Some fellas helped me put on my gear and i ran out with the bike for the biking leg. I cycled slowly towards Coastal Road, and went faster as i got under the canopies. There were many cyclists at coastal, but none of them were my fellow competitors. One appeared soon after, but on the opposite side of the road. I experimented with the gears and aerobars before reaching the u-turn point, knowing that i was still last. I had no cyclometer on the bike and i forgot to press the lap function on my Polar during transition but i felt the return trip was faster. I reached the transition area and realised that competitors like Hedgehog and Jonathan had not only arrived, but completed their race.

I put the bike on the rack, took off the helmet and put on the cap and ran straight out for the running leg. I had no idea where the route will bring me to. More runners were on the opposite side, powering to the finish point. I continued on and saw the waterpoint just up ahead. I stopped where a little fella gave me 2 cups of gatorade. After Changi Sea Sports Club, i saw Jerry who was marshalling. I realised that there was a lady competitor up ahead. I tried slowly to get to her but caught up with 2 young competitors instead, who was 12 and 13 years old. I got them to continue running, following my slow pace, while constantly trying to chase the lady runner.

I stopped for another gulp of gatorade before running slowly towards the finishing line. I received some encouragement from other cyclists. I then saw the roof of NSRCC's main building and increased my pace before finishing the race in 1:49hrs.

My only surprise was that i completed the swim leg. Good training this sprint trial. Thanks to Trifam committee for organising this race. A special mention goes out to the safety swimmer who helped me so much. I was so shacked after the swim that i didn't even asked for his name. Owe you 1 bottle of 100plus bro.

Next race, Port Dickson Sprint Tri. First, better to get more swim done.

Distance:-
Swim: 0.75km
Bike: 20km
Run: 5km
Time: 1:49hrs
Shoe: NB 1060

2 comments:

031206 said...

congrats shuts!!

fennel

NEZZ said...

Raihan, wishing you good luck & have fun in yr PDIT this Sunday.. I cud not make it again this time.. clash with some official events..