Thursday, August 09, 2007

Adidas King of the Road, Bandar Sunway - 5 Aug 07

Got up at 0500hrs and showered. Applied Neat Cream to abrasion prone areas and plastered nipples. Put on my SGRunners vest, Adidas black shorts, Adidas cap, Nathan pouch with USK , Creative MP3 player and a pack of powergel, socks and NB735 before heading out to Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman to wait for Yeehua and her super red Kenari. Had a pack of Triple Threat Powerbar and 2 capsules of Amino Acid while waiting.

Yeehua arrived and drove us to Bandar Sunway, which was already packed with runners by the time we arrived. Met Runwitme at the overhead bridge on my way to the reporting line. Entered the reporting area after a pee break and was issued with a pink ribbon. Did my routine stretches and warm ups and saw Kimberley Yap and other Malaysian runners.

Dr Sammy Velu flagged off the race just after the area was blackened out courtesy of a power failure. With Creative playing Robbie Williams' "Let me entertain you", I did a slow jog and looked out for a nice place to pee. I stopped at the side of the road after coming out of the underpass for a pee-break. Continuing the run, i saw Runwitme again and picked up speed to get level with Divey, who was wearing a Safra running vest. I saw Karen, the powerbar girl, and chatted for a while.

The first drink station appeared after 5km and i took the chance to replenish lost fluid. It was a surprise that the drink station served 100plus, though semi-chilled. I continued my run and before long, saw the first group of elites on the opposite side of the highway. Soon, more familiar looking runners appeared, consisting of Bose, then Charles, then Yeehua, then Ronnie, then Renohtaram and finally Karen.

I reached the u-turn point soon after, and approached the drink station. I was surprised not to find plain ice-water as i planned to take my pack of powergel then. So i grabbed 2 cups of 100plus and continued the run, seeing Amanda, Runwitme and Ham approaching from the opposite side.

The second 10km was rather boring and i felt very tired. Feet weren't hurting, just that i felt lazy. I began to wonder if i have lost the ability to run long distance, not forgetting the fact that my last run beyond 5km was Penang Bridge Marathon, more than a month ago. I shoo-ed away the negative thought, and decided to enjoy the music on my Creative, which was playing U2's "It's a beautiful day".

Divey caught up with me and i decided to follow her pace. After a while she told me not to wait for her, and i told her that i thought she was waiting for me. We continued running together for a while until we reached the last waterpoint, about 3km to the finishing line. The time was already 2:00 by now, and i knew that i will not be breaking any records.

Elvis was singing "A little less conversation" as i approached the last km, leading to the underground tunnel. Saw some photographers including Tey at the end of the tunnel. The upslope and final stretch towards the finishing line seemed a daunting distance but Holly Valance was telling me "It's all in the mind". I decided to increase my pace and finished the run in 2:11.

The official at the finishing line did not hand out a medal to me so i guessed they ran out of it. Had a few gulps of Milo and 100plus while looking for Ronnie, Charles, Yeehua and Ham. Saw them before seeing Amanda heading towards the aid station. I caught up and was told that she fell at the start, getting scratches at the knee and palm, and yet she completed the run. Amazing. We left a while later.

Honestly, i felt unfit and unprepared. This time a year ago, i was averaging 35-40km a week. This year, i can barely get half of that. Have i bitten more than i could chew? Have i become complacent? Perhaps i have. I have long knew that i just don't have the natural fitness and thus need to train hard. Well at least i acknowledge that, and hopefully that will spur me to rectify things.

Distance: 21.1km (on paper)
Shoe: NB735
Time: 2:11

No comments: