Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ferry hopping: Bintan - Singapore - Desaru

Wanted to take leave but 17 August is the Independence Day for Indonesia and as a "PR" there, it was compulsory for all else like me to be present for the Big Day observation ceremony. Rest of the guys were probably on their way to Desaru while i sat watching the red and white flag being raised.

Anyhow, having obtained permission to skip the night activities, i left for Singapore while the sun was still high. Cabbie at TMFT tried to con me by informing that a surcharge will be imposed on the trip. I told him to cut the crap, having taken taxis for 5 years from the same spot without having to pay any surcharge. So i took the next cab, who also tried to con me with the same surcharge crap at first but changed his mind once i started speaking Singlish.

I was home half an hour later and immediately gathered my pre-packed stuff and bike. Got my father to send me to Changi Ferry Terminal via his cab (no issue of surcharge this time), stopped by Changi Village to ta pao some food. Its amazing how lacking in creativity the hawkers are; 1 sells Nasi Lemak, everyone sells Nasi Lemak. One sells Nasi Ayam Penyet, everyone sells Nasi Ayam Penyet. I got myself 1 pack of Nasi Lemak with extra chicken wing, 2 fried popiah swimming with chilli sauce and 2 goreng pisang.

Reached Changi Ferry Terminal and immediately checked in. While waiting for ICA to start working, i had my feast. Cleared immigration and was on the ferry within minutes. Met some guys who went to PD with me a few weeks ago but can't remember their names.

Ferry left for a 30mins journey to Tanjung Belungkor, passing by the unnatural-looking Pulau Tekong most of the way. On arrival, cleared immigration and surrendered my bike to a transport coordinator from Golden Beach Resort. He then ushered me to a Pajero and after loading 3 other persons with me in the post-20 year old jeep, the driver started heading towards Desaru.

My last and probably only previous trip to Desaru was with SL and BT, on a study trip at the nearby fruit plantation a few years ago. Other than the fruits and the dirty hotel, i couldn't remember anything else about Desaru.

We stopped by a Petronas station to get supplies before continuing to the hotel. My worst fears came true when i saw where we were stopping; that same dirty hotel. Called IMD and Balasing and was told to head up to the briefing room. Uncle Chan was giving his briefing about the LD race. He must have been a comedian in his younger days as the crowd were laughing throughout the briefing.

Met Eunice, my team swimmer, and we headed towards the registration booth. I registered my team name as Euhan, back when i thought I could do the bike and run legs. Decided against it and Fennel asked if she could join as runner. So i guess my team name will be Euhanli (EUnice-RaiHAN-AiLI). Also registered for the sprint before remembering that i had totally forgotten about my bike. In panic, i saw my bike and thought that the Bike Boutique stall was the bike collection centre. Grace from TBB went into blur mode when i told her that i wanted to collect my bike. IMD clarified the situation.

We then went back to hotel, then to dinner where i had a special beef burger (note: not beef burger special, difference lies in the kind of egg served) and lots of mosquito bites. Went back to hotel and prepared for my 2 races.

Fennel arrived later on. By then,i was on my way to dreamland. Next day is race day.

No comments: