Monday, March 05, 2007

Mid-morning LSD - Sunday, 4 Mar

NL was a buddy of mine from NS. We served in the same unit at A Div. I have been pestering him to join me for a run, knowing what a speedmonster he is. Remembering that he has lots of relatives in Port Dickson, i immediately though about asking him to join me in the upcoming Port Dickson Half Marathon.
He called me up on a Friday and asked if i wanted to run a 10km at ECP on Sunday. Being deprived of anything that comes close to being a run, i duly agreed before suggesting on a 21km end to end and back run. Could be training for him but a much needed final preparation for my now-seemed-like suicide-attempt at KL Marathon.
We met at 0830hrs and he drove us to the carpark before Fort Rd. After putting on my Mizuno Blue vest and shorts, Adizero SN Red, Cap and Nathan Waist wallet, we set off for the run. Not knowing what slow meant, NL pushed me to a 5min/km pace. I had planned for a 6:15-30 pace. After 3km of that, i reached my limit and slowed down, saw Roonz along the way. NL continued on. Took my first powergel stop at the 7km mark, and bumped into Cokiee, who was probably taking part in the NUS Biathlon. Saw TLR before i continued running towards Tanah Merah. Another water break at Changi Sailing club before u-turning at the entrance to NSRCC.
Slow and steady, with plenty of walk breaks, i reached the 14km mark, the same toilet i saw TLR and Cokiee. The Biathlon was in full swing by then, and i took the opportunity to follow some of the runners' pace, after having my second and last pack of powergel. As i passed the chalet, i heard a call for 'shut' and i turned around seeing Sotong. A hi later and he breezed past me.
With aching thighs, calves, shoulders and feet, i reached the imaginary finish line at Fort Rd. My timing was a disgrace. However, i was glad to have completed the run. It may not have been similar or better than the 35km i completed 3 weeks before SCSM but it'll do.
Shoe: Adizero SN Red
Distance: 21km.
Time: 2:42.... well, still better than my first half marathon in 2003. That was about 2:48.

No comments: