Monday, March 05, 2007

National Vertical Marathon - 25 Feb 07

My first ever Vertical Challenge. Have always wanted to do this, now is my chance.
Teelee came to pick me up at 0600hrs and we made our way to Raffles Place MRT Station. Arrived just before 0630hrs and a short queue of competitors had already formed. Knew nothing about the race, we joined the queue and soon registration for Men's Open started. I was handed number 30 and allocated detail 5.
At 0705hrs, the first 8 details were requested to report and so we did. We then made our way to the start point, at Republic Plaza. My MP, Teo Ser Luck (MP for Ponggol South) was the guest of honor and after giving some encouraging words, flagged off the race for the first detail right on 0730hrs. Subsequent details were flagged off in 2 minute intervals.
Mine was at 0738hrs. I started at the back of my detail, brisk walking to the staircase. I double stepped my way for the first few storeys and before i knew it, 9 storeys passed and i started to feel thirsty. Thankfully the first waterpoint was at the 10th level and the marshal was happy to provide me with some. After gulping a cup of plain ice cold water, i continued on.
I started to feel burning sensations on my thighs as i climbed, one step at a time. Teelee, who was a detail behind, overtook me at the 19th floor. Another competitor, an "ang-moh" did the same somewhere after the 30th floor before an MR25 runner breezed past. Then i climbed past a competitor who was resting.
Taking drinks at every drink station, i suddenly realised that i had climbed 50 storeys and had 10 more to go. Without breaking a stride and a cup of water in my right hand, i climbed and pulled my way up to the 60th floor, finishing the race in 15:56mins.
I then saw Teelee, who completed his in just below 10minutes. Finishing point was in an enclosed area, not the open-air top on the roof kind i expected. After resting for a minute, we were ushered down to the start point and claimed our goodie bag.
Good race and experience. Organisation was commendable.
Shoe: Adizero SN Red
Time: 15:56 minutes
Distance: 60 storeys

No comments: