Wednesday, June 27, 2007

10hrs bus ride and lots of good food

Left office and had dinner with Ed, before returning to office for a shower. Packed my bags and headed for Golden Mile, just across the road, where the other runners in the group, Eliza, Fennel, Balasing, Swoop, Teelee and Kayano were already waiting. Soon, we boarded the Grassland bus, heading for Penang.

After clearing immigration checkpoints both at Tuas and Tanjung Pelepas, i went into sleep mode, waking up just for toilet breaks at Yong Peng and Sungei Besi. Next thing i know, we have passed the bridge and in Penang, just 2 minutes away from the bus terminal.

I looked, found and bought credits to reload my pre-paid Hotlink Malaysian handphone line from a shop at the bus terminal before calling Juwatim who left a message at my SG handphone, requesting my help to buy his return bus ticket. Lucky him, there was 1 seat left.

After a breakfast of Roti Canai and Teh Tarik, we left the terminal and headed for Anggerik Lodging. Checked into 1 of the 2 quad-share rooms we booked before heading out again towards Queensbay Mall, where we collected our race packs. A good call we made to be there early, the place was yet to be crowded. I got my pack, with racebibs number A014, 1 cotton event singlet covered with hundreds of sponsors' logo and 2 coupons for KFC and Pizza Hut. We then split and roamed the Mall.

I headed straight for the Adidas shop and found a pair of Adizero CS on display. I scanned the display further but there was no sign of my favourite shoe, Adizero SN. Saw some stuff on display and i bought myself a set of tracksuit at RM140 (after discount). Continuing my window shopping, i got tired and lepak at Dome for a bad shot of Long Black and hard apple muffin (should have just gone to Starbucks).

Next was meeting up with the rest of the group for lunch but not before i met Tey from Pacesetters, camera in hand, and another Pacesetters member holding a picture of the Pacesetter runner who recently passed away.

I ordered and paid for a plate of Fried Ee-Mee from the foodcourt at the Mall's basement, but had doubts about its halal-ness after seeing a member of the stall's kitchen staff chopping dark-pinkish colored meat just beside the stove. Refusing to think or comment, i took the plate of Ee-Mee and walked to the table my group was seating at. After explaining to them about my doubts, the group finished the dish for me.

We then left for Gurney Drive, courtesy of Fennel's cousins' cars, after i bought some packs of powerbars for Sunday's pre-race meal. Reaching Gurney Drive, i bought a giant sausage from 1901, window shopped before lepak at Starbucks with a mug of Tall 3-raw Americano and a slice of lousy chocolate cheesecake.

Met the rest of the group again and headed for the foodstreet at Gurney, where i had a bowl of Asam Laksa and a plate of rojak Pasembur. We then left for the hotel. Showered, prepared the essentials for the race, and dozed off by 2100hrs. Next day is race day.

No comments: