Tuesday, February 19, 2008

East - West - East Ride - 16 Feb 08

Have not been putting effort for cycling, compared to running and swimming. So i got up early on Saturday, if you would call 6am early. Changed into my newly acquired Zoot cycle-singlet, cycle-tights and wore Shimano Tri-bike shoes on the right leg and Asics Cumulus on the left.
Left house just before 7am. Took Tampines Avenue 5 towards Tanah Merah Road via Xi Lin Avenue and ended up just before Coastal Rd. Was in two minds about doing a lap at Coastal but i decided to stick to the original plan of heading towards Rifle Range Rd.
Cycled to Fort Rd via ECP, adhering to the 15km/hr speed limit. I pick up speed as i entered Guillemard Rd and turned into Nicoll Highway, crossing Esplanade Bridge before having to stop due to a red light just outside One Fullerton. A historical thing happened here; for the first time since i acquired the bike from Jason, i fell. Not sure what i tried to do but somehow the centre of gravity veered towards my right, where my right foot was clipped to the pedals via the Shimano bike shoes. So i fell. I immediately got up, more embarrased and angry than hurt, mount the bike again and moved off as the lights had turned green.
I felt a slight pain on my right knee and looked down and saw blood. Managed to strugged off the pain and continued the ride, passing by Shenton Way, Keppel Road, Telok Blangah Road, Pasir Panjang Road, West Coast Road before turning into Clementi Road, weaving my way through heavy vehicles. The route has been flat throughout but at Clementi Rd, i experienced the first of many slopes. Tortoised my way uphill and used the momentum to bring me downhill, crossing AYE before another slope slowed me down. I then crossed Commonwealth Rd, continued on Clementi Rd before turning right into Holland Road. Another slope was waiting and i tortoised my way up again, turning left down into 6th Avenue for a pit stop at Coffee Bean.
Saw some more pro-looking bikers with cool looking bikes, i was salivating. After a long rest, i told myself not to return via the same way. If the East West route were filled with heavy vehicles, the route i was about to take for the return will be filled with heavy traffic, vehicles of all sizes, shapes and make.
Started at Dunearn Rd, i rode slowly down towards Little India before turning left into Race Course Road. I then entered Kitchener Road before weaving through traffic and ended up at Victoria Street. I passed by Kallang Road, entering Geylang Road, Sims Avenue before taking a pit stop at Boon Supplies, aka Soon Huat bike shop.
Got the abang machanic to loosen the platform pedals so that i can fixed the other side of Shimano Ultegra pedals. After a short break, i proceed back home, attacking the slope where Kembangan meets Chai Chee, turning into Chai Chee and headed for Tampines via Bedok Reservoir Rd. As speedo were showing 62km, i did a loop near Tampines Fire Station before completing 70km just under my block.
Good ride, though would have loved company. Next ride, to go North and return via West-East.
Distance: 70km

No comments: